In a fast-changing, hyper-competitive world, the traditional boundaries of technology are blurring. This evolving landscape requires organizations to build smart IP portfolios that enable them to both defend their current businesses and capitalize on proactive licensing revenue strategies. UnitedLex helps technology companies and leading law firms unlock and protect the value of their IP assets.
Driving Efficiency Throughout the IP Lifecycle
We combine technology expertise with practical business insight to rationalize the costs of large IP portfolios and profoundly improve our clients' licensing and litigation outcomes. We have supported the world’s leading companies in more than 250 patent litigation matters and achieved over $3 billion in favorable client settlements and jury verdicts in the past 10 years.
More than 200 engineers and scientists with advanced degrees and deep industry experience work closely with
in-house and outside counsel to build smart patent and trademark portfolios, while substantially decreasing overall spend. We also develop, implement, and manage brand and trademark enforcement strategies.
We are at the forefront of using technology to drive efficiency throughout the IP lifecycle. Our custom tools leverage artificial intelligence and machine learning to help clients manage data effectively and make data-driven business decisions.
We have achieved more than $3 billion in favorable client settlements and jury verdicts in the past 10 years.
We have executed in-depth due diligence on 1 million+ patents.
We have performed 200,000+ patentability searches.
We have analyzed 100+ terabytes of product source code and generated 50,000+ invalidity, infringement, and evidence-of-use charts.
Deep Technical Expertise in Key Domains
- Materials, MEMS, integrated circuits, memory, batteries, nanotechnology
- Dedicated reverse engineering lab with cutting-edge infrastructure
- Product teardown, IC package analysis, IC chip analysis, circuit extraction
- Systematic analysis of different hardware components
- 2G, 3GPP, 4G-LTE, 5G GSM, CDMA, base stations, handsets, wireless communication, VLAN
- Analysis of telecom standards, components in wireless, wired and cellular networks
- Ability to test at data link, transport, and network layers
- Ability to perform simulation testing, handset/user equipment testing and base station testing
- Analysis and testing of data packet and transmission rate
- Testing using custom equipment
E-Commerce, Internet, Software
- ERP, CRM, DRM, OS, DBMS, encryption, security, e-commerce, search engines, payment processing systems, social network
- Analysis of source code
- Decompiling of executables to decipher runtime behavior
- Analysis of product work flow and usage, black box testing
Mechanical, Engineering, Automotive
- Autonomous vehicles, vehicle control systems
- Electrical vehicles, hybrid, charging, climate focus, eDrive, battery pack, power electronics
- Connectivity, telematics, infotainment, mobility
- Engine, chassis, electrical, fuel cell, transmission, manufacturing process
- Safety, body structures, body interiors
End-to-End Solutions for the Entire IP Lifecycle
Critical and timely evidence wins cases. We have revolutionized the process of building an organic body of evidence that promotes litigation success, minimizes infringement concerns, and drives monetization to extract the maximum value from IP assets.
We provide comprehensive technology analysis and in-depth patent research support across the entire patent litigation lifecycle—from pre-litigation to filing productivity and innovation credit claims, throughout discovery, and during trial.
- Case Evaluation and Pre-Litigation Analysis: We evaluate your case’s strengths and weaknesses, uncover preliminary evidence, and estimate potential damages. This assessment enables an early-phase, fact-based decision regarding whether to pursue a patent infringement matter.
- Comprehensive IP Search: We scour multiple sources—patents, published patent applications, and various non-patent published sources—on a global basis. We critically examine all patent embodiments and identify alternate applications during our prior art search. In most defense matters, the prior art we find becomes key to the final expert invalidity report or re-examination filing. This has led to early, favorable dispute resolution and has also significantly reduced the settlement costs and legal fees. Additionally, we report on safe geographies for commercializing a product and identify the extent of overlap with potential landmines in geographies of interest.
- Reverse Engineering and Tear-Down: Understanding how a product is made and works is key to proving infringement and litigation success. Our highly specialized reverse-engineering services include product teardowns to focus on internal hardware components and relevant software interaction, such as integrated circuit (IC) package analysis, IC chip analysis, back-end of line analysis, front-end of line analysis, and circuit extraction.
- Source Code Analysis: Source code evidence is the hardest-hitting proof point that our clients leverage and the most efficient route to unlocking information. It is also the most challenging form of discovery. We compile and synthesize all technical data from the source code and provide detailed insights to help lawyers strengthen infringement claims. We also analyze all artifacts related to source code, including database libraries, application programming interface, executables, and user interface.
- Product Testing: Reliably testing of accused products in patent litigation often provides great insight and, in most cases, good evidence of infringement (or non-infringement). Using our testing labs and test simulators, we unearth evidence of use and subsequently tie it to the larger evidence stream uncovered within source code and technical documentations.
Patent Monetization—Licensing and Sale
Patent licensing and sale require meticulous planning and a structured approach to maximize portfolio value. We help patent owners and counsel identify their patents’ strongest aspects and prepare the most compelling licensing packages possible by:
- Identifying top patents based on expert assessment of patent strength.
- Determining monetization opportunities by analyzing the IP investment landscape and identifying licensing targets.
- Shortlisting patent-product combinations and providing relevance ratings for each.
- Preparing licensing packs, including infringement analysis, claim charts, and validity and damages analysis.
We offer industry-leading reverse engineering capability and functional product testing and teardowns to identify key evidence that accelerates the licensing process. We have deep technical and financial expertise and serve as a high-value extension of your IP team when it comes time to deliver detailed, customized patent valuation models for use in patent sale, licensing, or litigation.
Patent Prosecution Lifecycle
Our global team works closely with leading companies to develop smart patent portfolios by implementing Six Sigma, output- and data-driven work flow, and efficient processes.
We study, benchmark, and refine your existing internal system to ensure your patent monetization and prosecution processes are interlinked. We also optimize patent renewals and dramatically reduce portfolio maintenance costs by using cost-index filters that direct resources to high-value assets. We:
- Develop and implement smart invention mining and filtering process.
- Conduct invention disclosure assessment and patentability searches.
- Draft patents.
- Provide office action support.
- Conduct post-allowance and lapse analysis.
Securing global trademark protection is complex and time-consuming. Our trademark solutions reduce cost, promote efficiency, and ensure quality and transparency throughout the trademark asset lifecycle.
With access to multiple subscription and national trademark office databases spanning 165 countries, we enable our clients to develop, manage, enforce, and acquire trademark portfolios more effectively and efficiently.
Our onshore and centralized offshore delivery capabilities, unparalleled global coverage, and deep domain expertise set us apart from competitors. We provide a right-shore, comprehensive, and cost-effective trademark renewal solution that is tailored to each client’s portfolio size and geographic reach. We can also work directly with your established network to increase efficiency and minimize the risk of missing renewal dates by sending periodic reminders.
We effectively monitor online data sources, detect infringement, and help brand owners commence enforcement actions to protect brand value and equity around the globe.
If you would like to explore how we can help you with your business challenges, please fill out our contact form.Contact Us